About OfesautoOFESAUTO is the Spanish Motor Insurance Bureau
What is OFESAUTO?
It consists of an Organisation participated in by all the insurance companies authorized to operate in Spain.
It consists of an Organisation participated in by all the insurance companies authorized to operate in Spain offering Car Insurance, plus the Consorcio de Compensación de Seguros (the Spanish Compensation Body)
Its roles are set out in the Council of Bureaux Internal Regulations and other International Agreements.
Its operational rules are set out in the Social Statute which determines its Government Bodies: General Assembly, Executive Board and Executive Management.
OFESAUTO, the Spanish Automobile Insurers Bureau, is the Spanish National Green Card Bureau. The so-called “Green Card” system is designed to help international vehicle transit and to guarantee that victims of car accidents where vehicles of different countries take part, are covered. Accordingly, OFESAUTO handles both information requests and compensation claims, for accidents which happen in Spain involving foreign vehicles as well as for accidents which happen abroad.
OFESAUTO is a non-profit organisation. It was established under the Organisations Law on May the 7th, 1953. It received authorization by the Government to be a part of the Council of National Bureaux on January the 28th, 1966.
Its operational rules were set out for the first time by means of Tax Office Orders of May the 13th and 26th, 1965. Later, once Spain entered (joined) the Common Market in 1987, its roles were set out by the Order of September the 25th. This regulation has been repealed and replaced by the current Order of July 26, 2017 , which broadly develops the functions of OFESAUTO and the precepts contained in the Compulsory Motor Vehicles Third Party Liability Regulations (Art.21) RD 1507/2008(BOE 13-09-2008).
Ministerial order EIC/764/2017
- Definiciones, régimen jurídico y de gobierno de OFESAUTO: artículos 1 al 4
- OFESAUTO como Oficina Nacional de Seguro en el ámbito del Sistema Internacional de Seguro (el sistema conocido como “Carta Verde”), artículos 5 y 6
- Como Organismo de Indemnización en el ámbito de las Directivas Comunitarias, artículos 7 y 8.
- Como administrador del sistema del seguro de frontera español, artículo 9.
- Funciones sociales, tales como la difusión del seguro obligatorio, mejora de la seguridad vial y protección de las víctimas de accidentes de circulación, identificación y eliminación del fraude y de la circulación sin seguro, etc, artículo 10.
Social Statute (rules)
Art. 21 RD 1507/2008
The concept of sustainability has become increasingly relevant in the business world, and OFESAUTO is no exception. We have taken a number of steps to ensure that our office is sustainable, both economically and environmentally.
With the renovation of our headquarters, the goal was to go green and contribute to reduce our impact on the environment.