Now you can take out online your Border Insurance for entry through Spain

Inicio » Blog » Now you can take out online your Border Insurance for entry through Spain

12 May 2021 | General news

Are you planning to travel to Spain with your vehicle registered outside the EEA? Do you know that it is mandatory to circulate with a motor civil liability insurance on our borders and within the EEA? Lucky you! From now on you can take out your Border Insurance online to entry in Spain.

The only way in the past to be able to circulate with your foreign vehicle (not registered in the EEA) in Spain or another EEA country, was to take out your Border Insurance using a Border Insurance Broker. This procedure is still in effect but, will you agree with me that is it easier if you can do it yourself and online?

Thinking about this, OFESAUTO has created a system that already allows you to hire your Border Insurance online to enter through Spain. A simple process that will not take you more than 5 minutes and in which you will only need the data of the driver and the vehicle to be insured.

How to take out your Border Insurance online to enter Spain

Before hiring it, look for the driver’s data, the vehicle’s data to be insured (you can find all the information we require in your current insurance papers) and think for how long you will need it.

Facilities for taking it out online

  • The website for taking out is, and it belongs to OFESAUTO, the National Motor Insurance Bureau in Spain, so you can trust it.
  • We have prepared a website in 3 languages: French, Spanish and English. French being the direct link language.
  • You get your Border Insurance right away after contracting; as a PDF on your screen and online.
  • We mail you a locator, as in plane tickets, so you can access your Border Insurance for Spain whenever you require it, always online.
  • You can make your payments online with a bank card safely.

Important: You will need to have an internet connection to be able to take it out and consult your Border Insurance. However, once contracted, you can save the PDF of your Border Insurance on your mobile, computer or (the most recommended option still) print it.

Why do I need Border Insurance?

As long as your vehicle is registered outside the EEA, this would be the same as asking, why do I require liability insurance?

Simple, first because it is mandatory according to traffic regulations to drive a properly insured vehicle. Second, because when you have an accident you must cover the damages caused by an accident (victims, vehicles, etc.), and this is done by your insurance.

It is essential to note that it does not cover roadside assistance damage to your vehicle, defense costs, etc. It is a temporary insurance “to third parties” to circulate insured by the country where it is issued. In the case that concerns us, Spain.

In summary, Border Insurance is like the IMIC (International Motor Insurance Certificate, formerly called “Green Card“) but temporary. You must contract it before entering Spain with your vehicle registered in a country outside the EEA.



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

De conformidad con lo establecido en la normativa vigente en Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos que sus datos serán incorporados al registro de actividades del tratamiento de titularidad de OFESAUTO, como responsable del tratamiento, con la finalidad de gestionar los comentarios que realice en el blog y que serán publicados en la web. La base legal del tratamiento será su consentimiento, otorgado mediante la aceptación de la correspondiente casilla y envío de los mismos. Sus datos no serán cedidos salvo por necesidades del servicio o por el cumplimiento de una norma. Podrá ejercer los derechos de acceso, rectificación, limitación de tratamiento, supresión, portabilidad y oposición al tratamiento de sus datos de carácter personal, así como del consentimiento prestado para el tratamiento de los mismos, dirigiendo a, adjuntando fotocopia del DNI o documento identificativo sustitutorio. Podrá dirigirse a la Autoridad de Control competente para presentar la reclamación que considere oportuna. Para más información diríjase a la política de privacidad. (english translation)

Related post

UN Charter of Road Traffic Victims’ Rights  

UN Charter of Road Traffic Victims’ Rights  

¿Sabías que las víctimas de accidentes de tráfico tienen reconocido su catálogo de derechos por la Organización de Naciones Unidas?  Tras un intenso trabajo a nivel internacional en el que el COB ha estado implicado, en Septiembre del pasado año 2021 se publicó la...

Don’t miss out,
sign up for our newsletter